Associate Professor of Microbiology
Ph.D. (1986) University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Margaret M. Green Award for Teaching Excellence in Microbiology, Southeastern Branch of the American Society of Microbiology, 2001
- NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award, 1991-1996
- Grant Support -
- “Novel Mechanisms for DNA Inversion and Transposition”, NIH
- Skaar E.P., LeCuyer B., Lenich A.G., Lazio M.P., Perkins-Balding D., Seifert H.S. and A.C. Karls. 2005. Analysis of the Piv recombinase-related gene family of Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Journal of Bacteriology 187: 1276-1286.
- Buchner J.M., Robertson A.E., Poynter D.J., Denniston S.S. and A.C. Karls. 2005. Piv site-specific invertase requires a DEDD motif analogous to the catalytic center of the RuvC Holliday junction resolvases. Journal of Bacteriology 187: 3431-3437.
- Tobiason D.M., Buchner J.M., Thiel W.H., Gernert K.M. and A.C. Karls. 2001. Conserved amino acid motifs from the novel Piv/MooV family of transposases and site-specific recombinases are required for catalysis of DNA inversion by Piv. Molecular Microbiology 39: 641-651.
- Perkins-Balding D., Duval-Valentin G. and A.C. Glasgow. 1999. Excision of IS492 requires flanking target sequences and results in circle formation in Pseudoalteromonas atlantica. Journal of Bacteriology 181: 4937-4948.
- Tobiason D.M., Lenich A.G. and A.C. Glasgow. 1999. Multiple DNA binding activities of the novel site-specific recombinase, Piv, from Moraxella lacunata. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 9698-9706.
- Heinrich D.W. and A.C. Glasgow. 1997. Transcriptional regulation of type 4 pilin genes and the site-specific recombinase gene, Piv, in Moraxella lacunata and Moraxella bovis. Journal of Bacteriology 179: 7298-7305.
- Perkins-Balding D., Dias D.P. and A.C. Glasgow. 1997. Location, degree, and direction of DNA bending associated with the Hin recombinational enhancer sequence and Fis-enhancer complex. Journal of Bacteriology 179: 4747-4753.
- Lenich A.G. and A.C. Glasgow. 1994. Amino acid sequence homology between Piv, an essential protein in site-specific DNA inversion in Moraxella lacunata, and transposases of an unusual family of insertion elements. Journal of Bacteriology 176: 4160-4164.
- Marrs C.F., Rozsa F.W., Hackel M., Stevens S.P. and A.C. Glasgow. 1990. Identification, cloning, and sequencing of Piv, a new gene involved in inverting the pilin genes of Moraxella lacunata. Journal of Bacteriology 172: 4370-4377.
- Sluka J.P., Horvath S.J., Glasgow A.C., Simon M.I. and P.B. Dervan. 1990. Importance of minor-groove contacts for recognition of DNA by the binding domain of Hin recombinase. Biochemistry 29: 6551-6561.
- Glasgow A.C., Miller J.L. and M.M. Howe. 1990. Bacteriophage Mu sites and functions involved in the inhibition of lambda::mini-Mu growth. Virology 177: 95-105.
- Glasgow A.C., Bruist M.F. and M. I. Simon. 1989. DNA-binding properties of the Hin recombinase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 264: 10072-10082.
- Johnson R.C., Glasgow A.C. and M. I. Simon. 1987. Spatial relationship of the Fis binding sites for Hin recombinational enhancer activity. Nature 329: 462-465.
- Bruist M.F., Glasgow A.C., Johnson R.C., and M.I. Simon. 1987. Fis binding to the recombinational enhancer of the Hin DNA inversion system. Genes and Development 1: 762-772.