Highlights are listed here, however a full CV is also available.
- WIPP 7001 - Writing Intensive Pedagogy for Biology GLAs, Instructor of Record, 2 semesters
- Re-designed course
- Developed online database of Five Minute Teach examples. To explore click here.
- BIO 1103L - Introductory Biology Lab for non-majors, GLA, 2 semesters
- Assisted in lab manual re-design
- Assisted in creation of an online version of the course
- GENE 3200 - Introductory Genetics, TA, 1 semester
- 2017-2018 - Jan and Kirby Alton Graduate Fellowship
- 2017 - Mary E. Case Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2017 - Nominated for the Excellence in Teaching Award from the Center for Teaching and Learning at UGA
- 2017 - 2nd Place in Genetics Dept. 3 Minute Teach competition
- 2016 - 3 Minute Thesis Finalist, competition across disciplines at UGA
- 2015 - NSF GRFP Honorable Mention
- 2013-2014 - Graduate School Assistantship (GSA). Two year stipend from the graduate school, nomination is submitted by the academic department upon admission and sent to the graduate school for consideration
Select Professional Service
- 2016-2017 - Graduate Student Chair for The SEER Center http://seercenter.uga.edu/
- 2015-2016 - Editor for The Classic Journal http://theclassicjournal.uga.edu/
- 2015-2016 - Secretary for Genetics Graduate Student Association
- 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 - Judge for Georgia State Science and Engineering Fair
I have dual research interests because of this I am doing a split dissertation that contains both transcriptomics research and discipline based education research. For my genetics work I am taking a gene correlation network approach to studying the evolution of morphine biosynthesis in opium poppy. For my education work I am studying teaching professional identity among graduate students in the life sciences and how that relates to their professional development decisions. After my graduate work I intend to pursue a postdoctoral position in discipline based education research.
Vienneaue-Hathaway, J., Brassfield, E., Lane, A.K., Collin, M., Correa-Garwal, S., Clarke, T. H., Scwager, E., Gard, J. E., Hayashi, C. Y., Ayoub, N.A. 2017. Duplication and concerted evolution of MiSp-encoding genes underlie the material properties of minor ampullate silks of cobweb weaving spiders. BMC Evol. Bio. 17:78
Lane, A.K., Niederhuth, C.E., Ji, L., Schmitz, R.J. 2014. pENCODE: A Plant Encyclopedia of DNA Elements. Annu. Rev. Genet. 48:49-70
Lane, A.K., Hayashi, C., Whitworth, G., Ayoub, N. 2013. Complex gene expression in the dragline silk producing glands of the Western black widow (Latrodectus hesperus). BMC Genomics. 14:846